I have been proofreading and editing for about eight years now, and it's to the point where I can no longer offer my services for free. If you would like me to read your manuscript and give you constructive criticism, please feel free to email me. My rates depend on what you want done. I ask that you email me so that I can get a better idea of what you are looking for and also decide if I'm the right person for the job. Please note that one of my goals is to offer affordable rates to help other writers. My rates are lower than the average consultant.
After being a reader for The Literary Review and the co-founder and editor of Black Fox Literary Magazine, I have seen the common mistakes writers make in their manuscripts. I enjoy reading other writers' work and making suggestions to help them become better writers. Below is a list of my services.
- Short Story Consultation
- Novel Consultation
- Coaching for Fiction Writers
Here are some examples of what I look for in a manuscript and questions I keep in mind:
- Character Development- Is the character flat or is he/she someone the reader can relate to? Is he/she a round character? What role do minor characters play and is it appropriate for the story?
- Overall Plot Structure- Is there a climax? Is there a resolution? Does the resolution work for the story and leave the reader satisfied?
- Setting- Is there a clear sense of time and place? How appropriate is the setting for the particular story/novel?
- Voice- Do we get a sense of the author's voice in the piece?
- Point of View- How effective is the point of view? Does it create any difficulties for the author? Would the story be better off if it were told using a different point of view?
- Dialogue- What does the dialogue add to the story? Is the dialogue interesting or engaging? Does it add to the story or take away from it?
- Scene Construction- Where do scenes begin and end? What drives them? How do action, dialogue details, etc. build a scene?
*These are only examples. Every manuscript is different.
Editing and Proofreading for Businesses:
- Blog Posts
- Website Content
- Print Books and eBooks
- Documents Produced in Microsoft Word
All inquiries can be emailed to email@example.com
Fiction Manuscripts MUST be in the following format:
- Times New Roman Font
- 1-inch Margins