Song of the Day: Thank You by Dido
Here are the opportunities for this week. There is some good stuff!
***Last day to enter my 150 Follower Giveaway is Thursday! Win $30 to a bookstore of your choice or a book of your choice.***
1. Theresa Frohock's Blog Contest
Theresa over at the blog Theresa Frohock is hosting a contest with AMAZING prizes. To enter, write a 250 to 300 word self contained fantastical short story. The prizes:
- PACKAGE #1 -- autographed copy of MISERERE: AN AUTUMN TALE + 25-page critique from my agent, Weronika Janczuk + autographed MISERERE postcard*
- PACKAGE #2 -- 50-page critique from my agent, Weronika Janczuk + autographed MISERERE postcard
- PACKAGE #3 -- 25-page critique from my agent, Weronika Janczuk + synopsis critique from my agent + autographed MISERERE postcard
- PACKAGE #4 -- 25-page critique from my agent, Weronika Janczuk + synopsis critique from my agent
- PACKAGE #5 -- synopsis critique from my agent, Weronika Janczuk + query critique
2. Tahreh Mafi's Giveaway
Tahreh Mafi is giving away an ARC of her novel, Shatter Me. Visit her blog for details.
3. The Third Annual Bartleby Snopes Writing Contest
The challenge of this contest is to write a story that's composed of only dialogue. Entries must be under 2,000 words and cannot include narration (this includes tag lines such as "he said" or "she said," etc.) Prize is $250 to first place and $10 to four honorable mentions (amount of the prize increases if more money is generated from the contest entries) Entry Fee is $10 and the contest closes September 12, 2011.
4. Oregon Writers Colony Short Story Contest
Submit a story of up to 2500 words, fiction or non-fiction. First place will receive $200, second place will receive $100, and third place will receive $50. Additional honorable mentions will be mentioned on the OWC website. The fee to enter is $10 for OWC members and $15 for non-members. You may also submit an additional $10 for a critique of your story. Contest deadline is August 15, 2011.
Calls for Submissions:
1. Storyville Short Stories
Storyville accepts original work of high literary quality that has not been published as a stand alone story in a print or online literary journal. They do publish stories that have been previously, or are currently, published as part of a printed or ebook collection or anthology. There is payment for accepted stories.
2. About Place
About Place is a literary Journal published by The Black Earth Institute. They are currently looking for poems or non-fiction of up to 2000 words. The submissions are themed and the current theme is "A River Runs Through Us." Deadline is November 1, 2011.
As always, Black Fox Literary Magazine is currently accepting fiction of all genres and poetry for possible publication. We'd love to see your work! Happy Writing!