Friday Fives- Favorite Banned Books!

Song of the Day: Parents Just Don't Understand by Will Smith

Hello all! Well, we've made it to another weekend! Amen! Any big plans? I intend to get some writing and reading done. Just a reminder, don't forget about my Banned Books Giveaway! I'm giving everyone until October 12, 2011 to enter. What are you waiting for?

It's that time again--Friday Fives! The blog Paper Hangover asks the question:

What Are Your FIVE favorite Banned Books?

1. Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

2. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrisson

3. Crank by Ellen Hopkins

4. Push by Sapphire

5. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Banned books shed light on real issues. These books are good because they invoke emotional response in the reader. I don't like reading books and not being "affected." Banned books tend to have an affect on me. I think that's why we love them so much. People shouldn't try to cover the truth, nor should they try to control what other people read. I've always said, if you think a book is too "racy," then it's simple: DON'T READ it. What are some of your favorite banned books?

Great post! I love the paragraph at the end--it's so true. Especially the sentiment: "DON"T READ IT". I mean, how hard is that? If it's something that bothers you and you don't HAVE to take part in it--then why do it? America was founded on the values of freedom and individuality and people have fought for those rights ever since--so, why does it feel like we're going backward sometimes instead of forward?

Great books on your list, BTW. I had my 6th graders read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. I think it's a book our younger generation NEEDS to read! Okay, done preaching. Love this post :)

September 30, 2011 at 7:45 AM
Alicia Gregoire said... .

You hit it dead on with that final paragraph. I agree fully. Also, I still can't believe that Roll of Thunder has been banned. That will never cease to shock me.

September 30, 2011 at 8:09 AM
KO: The Insect Collector said... .

So, so true. And the same goes for movies and music. Support what you will and let others do the same.

September 30, 2011 at 9:36 AM
Aubrie said... .

Have a great weekend! Hopefully you'll read and write lots.

September 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM
Claudia Del Balso said... .

One of my favorite books (and is not on your list) is "To Kill a Mockingbird". I know it's been banned before (I saw the list in the American Library Association) at:

September 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM
Carrie said... .

Great books on your list. I read The Bluest Eye in college and I still think about it today.

October 1, 2011 at 12:00 PM
Alison Miller said... .

Excellent list! Crank is definitely on mine (actually every Ellen Hopkins is - I cheated).
I started Push this summer and couldn't get through it - I couldn't stomach what was happening to Precious. But would I want that book banned? Absolutely not! What I can't "stomach" may help save a life. Book banning is the worst form of censorship - okay, maybe not, but it's bad.

October 2, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Medeia Sharif said... .

Those are awesome books. I haven't read the first one, though.

I've learned so much from banned books and they've evoked strong emotion in me.

October 2, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Ghenet Myrthil said... .

I agree - banned books are usually the ones that elicit emotion. They deserve to be read and enjoyed!

October 3, 2011 at 11:47 AM