National Novel Writing Month

Song of the Day: Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' by Michael Jackson

I've done the Unthinkable. I'm an official participant of National Novel Writing Month this year. That's right, come November, I will no longer have a life. I was doing some blog reading last night and came across the "NaNoWriMo" badge. I figured I would see what it was all about. It's actually pretty cool. I keep dragging my feet on my novel, so I figured I might as well give  NaNoWriMo a whirl right? The cool thing about NaNoWriMo is that once you sign up, you are registered as an official participant, and you can join regions. You can join any amount of regions you want. Once you do that, you are asked to pick one as your "home region." Since I'm in Tampa, I'm a part of the Tampa Region, but I also joined the Orlando Region since that's my hometown, and the St. Petersburg region since it's close by. Each region has a leader and that person organizes "write-ins", events, etc. I love the idea of the write-in, because not only will you get to meet other writers in your area, but it gives you reassurance that you're not alone. There is also an introduction event scheduled where writers participating in a given region will be able to meet each other. I'm actually getting rather excited. I know that once the writing begins, I'll probably want to slap myself, but I'm sure the end result will be worth it. So, who's with me?

Sandy Shin said... .

I'm also signing up for NaNoWriMo! :)

October 5, 2010 at 10:49 AM
Shannon O'Donnell said... .

I don't participate because I don't write full length novels. My finished MS is only 11,700ish words. :-)

October 5, 2010 at 1:05 PM
Jolene Perry said... .

I'm still on the fence... I'm just not sure if I want to commit that much time to writing - I already feel like it's all I do. But there's this idea that's been nagging me... We'll see. I'm glad to see so many people participating though and I think it'll be fun to see everyone's progress.

October 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM
Ezmirelda said... .

I'm with ya!
Haha I actually started a blog just for nano it's eznowrimo.blogspot.com

To person above me-- if you join the ywp nanowrimo you can set your own word count goal. :)

October 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM
Pam Harris said... .

Hey. I tried NaNoWriMo for the first time last month and I failed. Miserably. However, I think I may try it again this year. I have a story that's itching to be written--especially after spending so much time revising my first novel. :)

October 6, 2010 at 7:00 AM
Racquel Henry said... .

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

Sandy and Ezmirelda, we'll have to keep each other strong!

Pam...C'mon...you, me and Quita...what do ya say?! :)
October 6, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Sorry so late with this...but glad that you joined the ranks! I am hoping to participate this November too. I attempted last year and got pretty far...maybe this year would be better.

October 7, 2010 at 4:24 AM